When the Club was founded in 1831, Rule 1 of the Garrick Club Rules and Regulations called for the "formation of a theatrical Library, with works on costume". At a General Meeting on 15th October 1831 the barrister John Adolphus suggested that members should present their duplicate dramatic works to the Club, and that these should go some way towards forming a Library. A very valuable collection has thus come together over the years, and its special collections are particularly strong on eighteenth and nineteenth century theatre.
The Library is available to visiting scholars by prior arrangement with the Curator only. Scholars are requested to contact the Curator outlining the area of their research and, if relevant material is available, an appointment can be arranged. Various card catalogues and indexes are accessible on site, complementing the online catalogue: the cataloguing programme is ongoing.